These instructions provide a step-by-step guide to set up your Roku device.
The following instructions are for:
- A Roku device that’s never been set up.
- A Roku device that’s been factory reset.
- Turn on your Roku device.
- Locate, select, and log in to a Wi-Fi network.
- Enter an email address to receive a link that will allow you to create an account (if necessary) and activate your device.
Open the email and click on the link to proceed with account creation / device activation.
You need a Roku account to link and activate your Roku device.
On account creation, skip the payment step.
When you see the Choose payment method page:
- Return to your activation email and click on the activation link again.
- When you get to the Choose payment method page again, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Skip this step.
- When you’ve completed the activation steps on the web page, your Roku device will be updated with a set of channels.
- Once the channels have loaded, put the Roku device into developer mode.
Developer mode is required to be able to side-load apps onto the device.
Complete Step 1 in Developer Environment Setup in the Roku docs.
You’ll need the developer login credentials for side-loading.
Now you’re ready to build and run a Roku app.